Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Stocking Stuffer

A Broth of Fresh Air

Onion, celery, jalapeno, carrot, ?, and chicken butts taking a quick bath

Today, I am cleaning out my freezer. Right now it is half full of zip-locks and Tupperware packed with vegetable butts and discarded chicken bones from the past few months. It's definitely an added step to get to potato soup from here, but it always tastes better than the canned/boxed stuff at the store.

Just my two cents - making stock at home from my kitchen scraps helps me feel like I am conserving my waste and squeezing every cent out of the money I spend in the produce section/ farmers market. I am also wringing every drop of flavor out of the awesome bounty that we feasted on this summer. One last taste on the official first day of winter.

If you are looking for a place to use stock for your upcoming holiday meal/s may I suggest checking out my recipe for Oyster Dressing? I used to make it once a year on Thanksgiving, but it is so cheap and delicious (hold the oysters if you must) that I've started making it year round because we just can't get enough.

Happy Eating!

-AW

No comments:

Post a Comment