Thursday, November 22, 2012

Dress for Success

In my mind, a Thanksgiving meal is not complete without oyster dressing. It was there every year when I grew up and I didn’t appreciate it until I moved away and spent Turkey Day with some other amalgamation of “family”. Now, I make oyster dressing for myself and take it with me to whatever household harbors me for the holiday.

Finished Oyster Dressing. Still Bubbling!


What I Use:

  • One or two jars of oysters (depending on the size of the jar and the oyster about 20 oz)
  • 1 cup celery - chopped
  • 1 cup onion - chopped
  • One loaf of bread - toasted and broken up (or the store bought pre-toasted chunks)
  • One can of mushrooms (12 oz)
  • Milk and/ or stock (enough to make it all soggy)
  • 4-5 Eggs (enough to make it all sticky)
  • Salt, pepper, sage (I like lots of sage)
  • Butter (some for the bottom to prevent stickage and some for the top to make it golden brown)

In a large bowl combine everything but the butter and oysters. The bread should be wet and stick together, but not complete mush. Gently mix in the oysters until they are evenly distributed. Put in a buttered cake pan or cast iron skillet. Put a few pads of butter on top to help with the browning and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until well browned and cooked through.

I’m salivating just thinking about it.

Step One: Toast the bread. There is something therapeutic about this step ...



Don't be shy with the butter! (I sprinkle with more sage right before the oven)

No comments:

Post a Comment