Wednesday, February 10, 2010

To Bacon Tinued



The Pig Next Door made my February and shipped my first installment of bacon! I could barely contain myself as I tore into the package and found Hobbs Applewood-Smoked Bacon. I haven’t been able to find much of a presence online, but I will give you the low-down from what I have garnered online, and from the info card that came with that sweet meat.

Hobbs cures all kinds of meat and does a large portion of their business with restaurants, which must speak for the quality of their product. They are based out of the San Francisco Bay Area, and they use Hybrid Berkshire-Duroc hogs that helps ensure unique flavor.

The slices are extra thick. The 16 ounce package is made up of eight slices (about 2 ounces each!) Take that wimpy grocery brands. I can’t wait to sink my teeth into them. I will give you a full flavor profile once I’ve mopped the drool off my keyboard.

The bacon also came with a recipe for pasta with bacon and eggs. It sounds interesting, but I don’t think it will be the recipe I am making. As I said earlier I have a whole book dedicated to bacon treats and I will more than likely be selecting a recipe from there or coming up with one of my own. Whatever it is, I want it to be something that is simple and doesn’t make the bacon take the back seat to other meats. I’m thinking bacon wrapped scallops.

Check back tomorrow for a bacon recipe and more stove top prose.

No comments:

Post a Comment