Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

I have decided to give up meat for lent. That’s right, even bacon! If my posts suddenly spiral into sputtering nonsense I will blame withdrawal from that sweetest of meats.

In all seriousness this is a great opportunity for my arteries to unclog themselves, and to feature some great veggie recipes. I’m sure we will be doing plenty of fish sticks and tuna salad, but I’ve begun research on how to leave the meat at the grocery store without sacrificing on heartiness and flavor.

I do have a little experience as a veg head. My diet was virtually meatless until I was about five. I can still remember my great-grampa feeding me my first ham sandwich and falling in love. I also remember all the meatless burgers, hotdogs, and sausage that my family ate. They can’t hold a flame to the real stuff, but they aren’t so terrible if you don’t know anything different. I’ve heard those fakers have gotten better over the years but really they didn’t have anywhere to go but up.

I’d like to steer clear of all of those pre-packaged solutions, but Easter is a long way off and who knows how quickly desperation will set in. If I do go down that route you can expect reviews that will hold no punches. Now that I think of it, it may be interesting to take a walk down memory lane. We’ll just have to wait and see.

This is going to be an interesting experiment and I’m hoping that all of the Ate Up fans enjoy it.

Yours in food and fun,

A-Dub

2 comments:

  1. I recommend the Amy's Organic line. Amazing "pre-packaged" stuff, but low on the sodium and no chemicals. Also, Morningstar Frams Black Bean Burgers and Chik'n Pattys are super yummy!

    ReplyDelete